Wednesday, February 20, 2013

22 Vows (Pratigya) of Ambedkar

 Baba Sahib Dr. B.R. Ambedkar embraced Buddhism on 14 October, 1956, the Vijay Dakshami and  Dassara day. On 15th October again a conversion to Buddhism was held  at the same venue On 16 October 1956, Ambedkar performed another mass religious conversion ceremony at Chanda. After receiving ordination, Ambedkar gave Dhamma Diksha to his followers. The ceremony included 22 vows given to all new converts after  Three Jewels (The Bhudda, theDharma and The Sangha) and Five Precepts( to  strictly adhere to non violence or Ahinsa, committing no theft,  avoidance of sensual (including sexual) misconduct, to always speak truth and  to stictly avoid  taking intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness (specifically, drugs and alcohol)

Baba Sahib Dr. B.R. Ambedkar prescribed 22 vows to his followers:-
  1. I shall have no faith in Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara nor shall I worship them.
  2. I shall have no faith in Rama and Krishna who are believed to be incarnation of God nor shall I worship them.
  3. I shall have no faith in Gauri, Ganapati and other gods and goddesses of Hindus nor shall I worship them.
  4. I do not believe in the incarnation of God.
  5. I do not and shall not believe that Lord Buddha was the incarnation of Vishnu. I believe this to be sheer madness and false propaganda.
  6. I shall not perform Shraddha nor shall I give pind-dan.
  7. I shall not act in a manner violating the principles and teachings of the Buddha.
  8. I shall not allow any ceremonies to be performed by Brahmins.
  9. I shall believe in the equality of man.
  10. I shall endeavor to establish equality.
  11. I shall follow the noble eightfold path of the Buddha.
  12. I shall follow the ten paramitas prescribed by the Buddha.
  13. I shall have compassion and loving kindness for all living beings and protect them.
  14. I shall not steal.
  15. I shall not tell lies.
  16. I shall not commit carnal( sensual) sins.
  17. I shall not take intoxicants like liquor, drugs etc.
  18. I shall endeavor to follow the noble eightfold path and practice compassion and loving kindness in every day life.
  19. I renounce Hinduism, which is harmful for humanity and impedes the advancement and development of humanity because it is based on inequality, and adopt Buddhism as my religion.
  20. I firmly believe the Dhamma of the Buddha is the only true religion.
  21. I believe that I am having a re-birth.
  22. I solemnly declare and affirm that I shall hereafter lead my life according to the principles and teachings of the Buddha and his Dhamma.
Nowadays many Ambedkarite Organizations are working for these 22 vows (i.e. 22 Pratigya). They believe that these vows only are responsible for the existence & rapid growth of present Buddhism in India. According to the 2001 census, there are currently 7.95 million Buddhists in India, at least 5.83 million of whom are Buddhists in Maharashtra [8]. This makes Buddhism the fifth-largest religion in India and 6% of the population of Maharashtra, but less than 1% of the overall population of India.

3 comments: